Irish-ish dishes for March: Domini Kemp's Posh Spice Bag. As featured in Food & Wine Magazine
Domini’s take on a spice bag uses cornflour for a gluten-free dish. Serve with curry sauce for a classic spice bag experience. To read the full article, click on the image. Picture: Dean Carroll
Posh Spice Bag
Some of the dried herb companies make “spice bag” seasoning packs which I used in addition to five spice mix.
Ingredients, serves 2
2 chicken breasts, cut into tenders
Salt and pepper
2 tsp five spice
For the coating
4 tbsp cornflour
2 tsp five spice
½ packet spice bag seasoning
Bunch of spring onions, sliced
1 red chili, finely sliced
For the vegetables
Approx. 500g large potatoes
Vegetable oil, for frying
Few splashes olive oil
1 large white onion, peeled and sliced
4 garlic cloves, peeled and sliced
1 red pepper, sliced
1 yellow pepper, sliced
1. Marinate the chicken in the buttermilk, five spice, salt and pepper. Leave this for at least an hour or overnight if you like.
2. Then jump to the vegetables: boil the potatoes whole with the skin on until just tender but still firm enough to slice into wedges. Drain, cool, and cut into wedges. Set aside to cool a bit more, then heat up the vegetable oil in your fryer (or, in my case, a wok). Blanch them for their first fry in the vegetable oil until just starting to colour, then drain and set aside on paper towel until you’re getting closer to completing the dish.
3. In a large frying pan, sweat the onions and peppers in olive oil with plenty of salt and pepper until soft. At this stage, you’re nearly ready to go.
4. Place the cornflour in a bowl and season with salt, pepper and five spice, then toss the chicken in the seasoned cornflour.
5. Heat up the vegetable oil again (you may need to add more oil) and cook the wedges for their second cooking – get good colour on them, then drain and season.
6. Fry the coated chicken in batches until golden brown and cooked through, adding the spring onions and chillies for the final sizzle. Drain the chicken, then toss with the cooked onion and pepper mixture and wedges. Season again and serve.